Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Top Trend: Style at Home Edition

Happy 2012!! I wish you all an amazing year and all the best at treasure hunting!  For my first post in 2012, let's talk about the top trend in home decor.  You all know I love to have fun with patterns and colors, and the lovely editors from Style at Home have picked a few of their favorites to inspire us this year:    


So which one is your favourite palette?  I love the amethyst picked by Erin (a similar color was used in her bathroom and I absolutely loved it).  Don't be surprised if you see me blogging about creating a new focal wall in my condo, or just simply can choose and use them all as accent throughout the year!

Being less "rustic" and more "refine", this shift in decor trend is perfect for bold, dramatic, and sophisticated patterns.  I love the chain motif for its playful and elegant aesthetic (I have a similar one take as a rug in my living room).  Chevron is still going strong and West Elm has come up with a new color for its Zigzag rug.  For glamourous and instant impact, why not go for diamonds?  This Cole & Son wallpaper (Apex) demands attention!  You can also do it as a DIY: all you need is a large canvas, four complementary colors, and an afternoon in your workshop.  

image via Style at Home
image via Ideal Home Magazine
Another big trend this year is Chinoiserie.  This asian inspired motif has always been one of favourites and I have collected a few Chinoiserie pieces in 2011!  Will share with you in another post but looking at these stunning blue and white shots of Chinoiserie, I think I will have to spray my treasures in blue!  My good friend Pam from Cherish Toronto has recently scored a pair of side tables that I would totally "time-share" with.  Aren't they to die for? 

image via Style at  Home
image via Style at Home

Still stuck with inspiration from the ancient China, my heart skipped a beat when I saw this breathtaking lamp with fish scale motif by Jonathan Adler and this faux bamboo tea set.

image via Elle Decor

Once considered a tribal motif, Ikat has undergone major transformation and has proven itself to be the star of the show.  I am in love with this little blue bowl from Anthropologie UK!  It comes in four amazing colors and I truly can't decide which one I should order.  What is your pick?    



image via Livingetc
image via Style at Home

This High/Low features ikat in my number 1 color palette at the moment: yellow + grey.  Love the sophistication and elegance of these two rooms at the January Issue of Style at Home.  I'm also crazy about the circle motif with mirror inlay on the console: a little art deco but very current.

image via Style at Home
image via Style at Home
Another trend I love is the "second-life" rug and oversize canvas for impact and drama.  Check out how designer Jessica Cotton pulls together these fun, bold, and contemporary spaces in a narrow Victorian home.  I love the energy and vibe from these spaces: a perfect modern eclectic story board.   

image via Style at Home
image via Style at Home
Christine Hanlon is one of my favourite contributing design editors at Style at Home.  I love her light and airy home with hits of colors and elegant patterns throughout (her home was featured multiple times in Style at Home).  So it's of no surprise that I'm also banana crazy about this dinning room.  The indigo blue walls captivate my eyes, not to mention blue is also everywhere on the runway.  This room is filled with traditional furniture in mahogany, which works seamlessly with the rich blue walls.  To add the twist to an otherwise "predictable" traditional dining room, Christine uses white cotton (drapes and slipcovers on the end chairs) for a sense of whimsy and the room now offers a causal dining experience in the Hamptons.    

image via Style at Home
image via Style at Home
Here is my first trend report.  A big thank you to Style at Home for producing many of these captivating and inspirational spaces!

Come back next week for my next trend report: it is bright, bold, and beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. Tim,
    Great Trend Report!!! I always love reading about what's going to be hot in the new year Can't wait for the new issue of Dabble Magazine to come out so you can read my latest What's Trending column!!
    Happy New year!!!
    Christine x0

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many fab trends you've highlighted here, Tim. I can't wait to see how your chinoiserie faux bamboo tables turn out (in blue?!?!), and thanks for the linky-link here!
    I also noted that Jonathan Adler lamp in Elle Decor with the fish scale pattern - I think we'll be seeing a lot more of that motif in the future.
    BTW, the little bowl from Anthropologie - I bought it in the chartreuse to use in the guest room - but I think the blue would be perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete