Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2012 Pantone Color: Tangerine Tango

Hello Thursday!  Hope you all are having a fantastic week so far.  It is cloudy and grey out today, so I thought why not bring some happiness indoor by sharing with you some bright, bold, and beautiful interiors and products that are inspired by Pantone 2012 Color of the Year: Tangerine Tango.

image via Pantone
I love the energy, intensity, and vibrancy of this orange.  In fact, I was going to decorate my place with orange accent before I decided to go with yellow and grey as my color palette for Holidays 2011,  Since I can't show you how my place would have looked like with hits of vibrant orange, let me share with you some of the stunning spaces I found online.

I love this sumptuous bedroom with that bold orange focal wall!  Orange accent in decorative accessories, pillows, and books are distributed over the room.  The bench in cherry wood maybe a little "red" in some spaces but it complement the focal wall perfectly in this bedroom.  As blue is the perfect mate for orange, why not accentuate this bedroom with shots of turquoise and blue? 

image via living with libby
Now if you think an orange accent wall is a little out of your comfort zone, here is a neutral living room with impact and drama with the help of the Chiang Mai dragon fabric from Schumacher on an arm chair and a couple of toss pillows.  Orange pipping is added to the chair, along with the brass accessories and stool, adds glam to this relaxed space.

image via House of Turquoise
What a fun and sophisticated dining room in shade of blue and white, with brass accent.  I love the traditional  element of the room and how the room is enlivened with shot of electric orange as pillows, accessories, the base of the table, and seat upholstery on a couple of occasional chairs.  This image reminds me of the perfect summer home in France!

image via EJ Interiors
I have never seen a full wall of built-in I don't like and this one certainly is no exception.  I love the playful nature of this room, especially with the use of the orange floral fabric and creamy yellow as accent.  The raspberry rug with subtle strips adds a contemporary flair to the room. If the above is my retreat in France, then this one is definitely my English country home!

image via Dreams Project
As the design experts always say, paint is the most inexpensive way to update any spaces.  In this case, instead of painting the walls, why not paint your built-ins or your bed? I love this orange and pale smoky blue palette: it's soft, elegant, and inviting.

image via Interior Gallery
Ken from Fieldstone Windows & Doors and I were talking about leaded window last week, and here is an incredible application of leaded windows as interior divider that has me floored.  I love, love, LOVE this idea!  Not to mention the use of blue and orange, plus the industry sensibility with the vintage metal console and raw linen on the chaise.  This space screams New York to me!

I like to infuse different characters in a home.  At first glance this dining room maybe too formal to go with the lounge.  To me, these two spaces are tied together beautifully through architectural details such as panelled doors and mouldings, the use of glass, and the most obvious of all, both rooms are accented with blue and orange.

image via Google image
image via Google image

While we are on the industrial edge, the following space is of no surprise to you all that I would totally pop right in my own home.  Instead of accented by blue, the orange sofa is partnered with soft grey wall and charcoal accents such as the deer head, floor lamp, and tray table.  A little unexpected, but very masculine and totally contemporary.

image via Apartment Therapy
Of course this vibrant orange is perfect for L.A.: homes of all things decadent, luxurious, and glamorous.  I am captivated by the use of strong patterns (wide strips and animal print) and colors in both spaces.  What's unexpected, and very interesting to me, in this living room is the use of a cream lantern.  It brings a sense of casualness to an otherwise formal the living room.  

image via Lonnymeg
image via Tobi's Blog 
I told you how much I love Chinoiserie and brass accent last week.  Here are two rooms in our blue & orange palette with these exact elements.  I love the high gloss finish on the side table and that mid-century inspired brass wall sconce!

image via Lonnymag
image via Chris Barrett Design
Now here is a dining experience I wouldn't want to miss. I know this hue of orange is more on the "red" side but I love the eclectic sophistication of the space.  What a well execution room where farm house meets modern Swedish design, with an industrial edge!  It also reminds me of the dining room Sarah created last year for IDS 2010.

This curvaceous headboard with contrasting pipping and tufting also reminds me of that beautiful headboard Sarah designed for Sarah's House 4.  This coral shade of orange maybe my favourite of all within "Tangerine Orange".  I love the subtle orange detail on the beddings and check out that pair of Louis VI stools upholstered in preppy coral fabric!

image via Refreshed Design
image via HGTV.com
Room inspiration aside, let's check out some beautiful products and accessories that we can easily introduce to our homes.  These tiles have got to be one of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen.  I love the one in a subway pattern and would love to use it as accent for my back splash!

These ikat inspired bowls (available at Anthrophologie) in bright orange with gold rims are indeed the stylish accessories for a dream kitchen. 

image via New Ravenna
image via Anthrophologie
As seen in the rooms above, fabric is another easy way to inject accent colors such as orange and turquoise to any spaces.  This creative mix of geometric print with floral certainly scores high on my book.  

I know we are still in the middle of Winter but with temperature warmer than usual, I'm already thinking about Spring!  Pom Poms, colorful and playful tablecloth, and accessories in shades of orange and coral, just to name a few of my favourite things. 

image via Google image
image via Koyal Wholesale
Geometric print has proven itself to be a timeless classic and here is "citysquare" from Thom Filicia. Boxes in various sizes are always great for styling.  Similar lacquered boxes are available at Teatro Verde.



The flagship store of CB2 will be opening in Toronto in a couple of weeks, and this classic club chair and chic toss pillow are bang-on with our scheme.  Be sure to check out CB2 at the corner of Queen Street West and Bathurst.


Now here is a fabric I'm totally banana crazy about!  Ladies and Gents, may I present to you the Santorini Print from Schumacher.  What an incredible transformation!  

image via Schumacher
image via Apartment Therapy


One last thing: if you are looking for ways to inject Tangerine Tango into your bathroom other than towels, why not go for a natural inspired shower curtain accented with yellow and orange from Anthrophologie? Of course I love the birds as well.

image via Anthrophologie
image via Anthrophologie
Here is my 2012 Trend Report: Part 2 ~ Tangerine Orange.  My good friend Vanessa from decor happy and Wendy at inVU Drapery also compiled their favourite picks all in name of "Tangerine Orange".  Be sure to check them out!   

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Tim!!! Love this year's colour of the year. And loooooove it paired with turquoise. So juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, great inspiration Tim! Thank you for the call out @ the inVU Drapery blog!!! Yes, I’m the blogger behind that one too -

    ReplyDelete