Friday, December 2, 2011

Pottery Barn: Holiday Edition

Visiting my favourite stores and be inspired by the beautiful decoration is part of my annual holiday rituals.  I love Christmas and my tree is normally up the latest by mid-November, yes waaaaaay too early I know! So instead of fighting with the crowd for immediate  decoration needs, I simply enjoy what the stores have to offer and be inspired for a palette for the following year.  Not to mention some of the amazing deals you pick up following this approach!

Today, we are at Pottery Barn.  You are welcomed by two equally beautiful but polar opposite groupings the moment you step into the store: bold, vibrant red or serene, elegant white.  The choice is yours!


I was inspired by red amaryllis last year and used it as accent in my kitchen.  For 2011, I'm going for calm and subdued, so I am immediately drawn to this vignette.  Accented with classy mercury glass Christmas trees and rustic lanterns, this white and green palette comes to live with sumptuous flowers (faux I know, but they are so "real" and will last you forever), and a whimsical swan.  I love that swan!! 


Natural wood tone is the perfect element to complement a classic green and white color scheme.  To add a touch of holiday spirit, why not pair it with an antique brass reindeer with intricate markings?  Talking about faux blooms, I love this white magnolia with broad, glossy, richly textured leaves. 


Now let's talk about red.  It's the classic traditional color for Christmas and really, how can you say no to these ready to bloom amaryllis and winter berry branches?


Then I noticed the little red collar on this metal reindeer!  Love it.  If you are looking for a more traditional reindeer, this vine option comes in two sizes.


Here is a classic red and green living room vignette.  If you are stuck on how to decorate your space, this is a fail-proof color scheme that will surely impress your guests.


This relaxing and cozy vignette consists of wing-back inspired wicker chair, sofa in color of light carmel, and homey pillows rich in textural interests.   


I am banana crazy about this berries pillow.  I don't know about you but I struggle with how to decorate my console table every year.  It's either too crowded or not enough.  Here is how the design experts tackle a console at Pottery Barn with candles, flowers, reindeer, and berries.


Here is living room vignette #2.  This one is accented with rich chocolate brown and a muted shade of green.  If I may say the first living room is more Cottage Country, then this one is definitely Vintage Country Chic.  


I love this cluster of ornaments!  Tip #2 on decorating a console: use tall branches for heights and dramatic visual impact.


My favourite pillows from this collection are these vintage inspired prints of Santa and berries wreath.


We are now ready for a cream and white living room. Accented by muted blues and greens, and lots of natural elements, this living room vignette is my personal favourite.  Of course a backdrop feature wall like this behind the sofa also scores a lot of brownie points.


Here are my pillow picks from "White Christmas":


If you want to go muted but with a little more color, how about living room vignette #4?  This vignette is visually stimulating thanks to the paisley slipper chair for warmth, and the off-white diamond quilt pillow for texture.

My personal favourite is this beautiful India inspired pillow in pale pink and green.  Love it!


Table setting is also an integral part of a holiday party.  Here is how Pottery Barn decorates with items you may already have at home.  There is no rule to say that you can't use your fall decoration for Christmas.  The trick is to mix and match different pieces, so the look is dynamic, cohesive, and intentional. 


In this case, berries napkin rings in deep purple and orange work as they add to the overall country charm of this farm house dining vignette.  With mercury glass candle holders, a touch of gold as rim on wine glasses, and a richly patterned tablecloth in classic green and red floral, this table is set for the holidays.


Continue with the two different color schemes, here are the options to decorate your bedroom for those cozy winter evenings.


Of course I wouldn't leave you without sharing my top ornament picks from Pottery Barn.  I personally don't like putting Angle as tree topper (do people still do that?), and this rustic star with mirror inlays has my vote!


Animal ornaments have been huge for the last couple of years.  You see them in almost all the stores and at PB, I am digging this peace dove and elegant swan.  Also love the muted gold wood garland.  It reminds me of the chandelier Sarah used in the dining room of Sarah's House 4.


For sparkle and crystals, here are two tasteful options that work for both traditional and contemporary interiors.


Pottery Barn is also raising funds for Sick Kids Hospital and this heart shape ornament is our little tokens to contribute for a great cause.  With love on the left, I offer you this exquisite peace on the right.


Here is my holiday special at Pottery Barn.  Let's hope some of these picks will end up on Santa's slay and head to my home!

5 comments:

  1. Tim, these holiday displays are just beautiful! Go Pottery Barn ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many choices, especially pretty in these traditional colour schemes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas is my favorite holiday, thanks for the huge ideas for decorating my house. Really liked living room in a classic Christmas style

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I love PB too! Totally stealing ideas for my own home for Christmas! I feel like Sam P. on HGTV.. Only that she was visiting her design friends for inspiration and I hit my favourite stores!

    ReplyDelete