Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Place: Shopping Guide Edition

Happy Boxing Week everyone!  Hope you all are having fun shopping away for the best deals in town.  I am up in Collingwood for a little quietness away from the city's buzz and enjoying a few days of doing "nothing".

You have seen my own place decorated for Christmas last week and before I start with today's post, I must take the opportunity to say "Thank You" to each & everyone of you for your love and support.  Your kind words are all very close and dear to my heart, and it is very encouraging to see the "muted palette" is well received.

Okay, let's get back to business.  While most of you are still in shopping mode, I decide to share with you the many amazing sources (my fav stores, magazines, talented bloggers) that inspired me for this year's decorating challenge.      


Other than the newly upholstered sofa, the very first statement piece I purchased was this creamy flatweave rug with the link motif.  I picked it up from HomeSense a few days before I spotted the same pattern from the Cobi collection during my visit to the inVU trend event.  Wish you could see the excitement on my face when I saw this beautiful fabric in person!  Another decoration tip I picked up during this visit was the mix of warm and cool metals: check out the stunning drapery hardware!


Christmas tree is the family tradition for me (something I used to do every year with my Mom since I was a kid) and my tree this year is all about neutral colors with loads of natural elements including felt birds, snow flakes, feathers, ice drops, and giant pine cones.  


The inspiration for my neutral tree came from "Snow Capped" collection from Gluckstein Home at the Bay.  The tour of the Christmas Street with Brian and Arren was absolutely magical and what a perfect way to kick start the holiday spirit!  Check out this fabulously styled vignette: doesn't this tree look similar to mine?  This tour of the Christmas Street was where my obsession with antlers started!    


My tree was also inspired by the "White Christmas" from West Elm for that perfect balance between nature and glam.  Feather balls, little birdies, snow flakes, and some clear glass ornaments, don't they all look a little familiar?


Nothing beat a cozy fireplace during those sub-zero Winter evenings, and here is mine!  The stainless steel Blomus fireplace and the floating mantel in natural walnut are decidedly contemporary in design.  To bring warmth and charm to the fireplace wall, I added flowers and a whimsical cuckoo clock.


The fireplace wall wouldn't be completed without my DIY deer head art work.  The deer head idea came from my visit to Jamie Alexander, where I spotted this handsome deer full of pride in silver.  Looking for something a little more earthy, I picked up mine from HomeSense, built a frame for the deer head, and outfitted the background with the woodland wallpaper from Cole & Son.  My fireplace wall is now elegant, masculine, and sophisticated.


As for the dining room, I took cue from Lisa during the Christmas special at inVU on how to create a classy centre piece and was head over heels by these woodland plates at West Elm while cheering for Lindsay during the etsy event.


Here is how I pull these ideas together: polished hammered metal bowl with silver, pewter, and gold ornaments + boxwood for a touch of nature, and gold dinner plates serve as the perfect complement to accentuate these adorable deer plates.


As you all know, I love everything Sarah does, especially for ideas from her very own home (featured in House & Home).  In this particular case, I was inspired by the wreath over mirror idea and how sophisticated the rectangular boxwood wreath looks in front of Sarah's vintage mirror.  As you can see, I stole this idea for my dining room!


With nature inspired aesthetics as my decor direction in mind, I visited Pottery Barn to check out the must-haves for country charm.  I love this whimsical swan flower pot and these magnolia branches.


Here is how I incorporated this idea at home: porcelain foo dog (vs. swan flower pot), reindeer antlers and silver box (vs. rustic lantern), sparkly crystal objet (vs. mercury silver trees), and of course the magnolia branches!  


I was also banana crazy about the "Arctic Wonder" by Gluckstein Home at the Bay, and was determined to use the palette at home somehow.


Since my kitchen is sort of a stand-alone space, it is the perfect space for me to branch off from the cream and grey  palette in the main living space and venture into a blue & white scheme.  Love how "Arctic Wonder" works harmoniously with this stunning image by Scott.


Inspired by this front hall at Tamara's loft featured on Style at Home (in particular the narrow console table and the fab mirror above) and the cotton branches in Sarah's farm house as a simple yet attractive floral arrangement, I've come up with my own version as well.


A small table is tucked in this nook right off the front door for flowers, decorative boxes (extra storage for keys), and a cluster of kettle bells, instead of mirror, for an added festive touch.  Cotton branches in a vase (love it but discontinued at indigo) serve as a refreshing arrangement to welcome me home every evening.    


The talented Tommy Smythe has impeccable style and I was so jealous when I saw this bedroom of his featured in House & Home.  

image via House & Home

I also love these pillows by identify apparel from the One of A Kind Show.  I was so bumped that I actually missed the booth during my "power-walk"... yes I needed to finish the entire show in 2 hours and rushed back to a meeting.  Thanks to Vanessa from Decor Happy, I am now a proud owner of one of these oh-so-charming Canadiana felt pillows!

image via Rambling Renovators

Here is my sumptuous bedroom retreat inspired by Tommy and featuring a fantastic pillow from identify apparel.


Many of you have asked about this silver ornament wreath (I will share the DIY projects on my next post).  MY inspiration of this DIY came from the gorgeous dining room designed by Stacy McLennan Interiors featured in Style At Home.


Don't you just love these hand towels from West Elm? I've seen them at the House & Home Show Home and Sarah has also used them in her kitchen in Sarah's House 4!  For me, these stripped towels are the perfect accessories in my bathroom.


Of course I couldn't resist this beautiful candle and room fragrance from Indigo.  A good friend of mine gave me one of these stylish books (it's now sitting on my coffee table) and I've picked up a faux pony box for my bedroom during my visit at Indigo.  



This is the complete shopping guide to my holiday home.  If you like some of the items I used this season, hit these stores now during boxing week sale before these gorgeous items are sold out!  Happy shopping and yeah, shop til you drop everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Great peak into how you used your inspiration in decorating your own home. I love how festive your home looks, but still elegant and restrained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Grace! I tried to strike a balance between "christmas" and easy entertaining. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete