Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Old into New with Sarah Richardson

The Special Summer 2011 Issue of Renovation Style features a gorgeous home in Rosedale Toronto by my favourite designer Ms. Sarah Richardson.   If you love how Sarah transformed the historic home in Sarah's House Season 1, you will love this transformation too!

You know I have been crazy about coral pink lately and of course I love the classy wallpaper!  The gold sunburst motif (a Farrow & Ball paper I suspect) is muted and yet adding so much presence to the natural focal point: the fireplace. The room is pulled together beautifully by the complementary drapes (likely the jumping off point) and the creamy walls.  To balance the "pretty" touches, Sarah selected tailored sofa and chairs and up the gentlemen factor with a Mies Van der Rohe Barcelona coffee table.


Look at these Cole dining chairs!! I've always loved them and this time they are dressed in this dynamic fabrics (which I also fell in love with when I saw them at InVu)!  Along with an Art Deco inspired dining table, soft grey and grasscloth wallpaper for the walls, and touches of muted gold accents, this dining room is ready for the ultimate dining experience!

Sarah is known for her smart space layout, especially in the kitchen.  Here stainless steel professional grade appliances are paired with traditional shaker style cabinets.  To make use of every square foot of prime real-estate, Sarah also incorporated an open display area in a tight corner.  The natural walnut shelves add warmth to the kitchen.


Of course no detail is too small in Sarah's design.  The custom built-in buffet in walnut is both practical (for added storage) and pleasing to the eyes.  I absolutely love the tile details, both for the backsplash and the floor!  Crown moulding and recessed panels dress up the kitchen column, while colorful stripe pillow both echos the drapes and contrasts with the solid cut-velvet chair!


This master bedroom is very pretty and again, I love how Sarah balanced the feminine fabrics with a four  pillar bed in dark walnut.  The eclectic mix of frilly lily side table with a Louis XV-inspired coffee table, the tufted bench with nailhead details, and the use of a "short boy" dresser as bedside table are just a few examples that make Sarah's rooms stand out from the others.


While we are on the coffee table talk, don't I have something shocking for you. Doesn't this table look exactly the same as the one in the master bedroom? I found it at a side-walk sale for a sticker shocking $5!  This beauty requires some TLCs but I'm sure it will be a stunning table for a future project.



Of course I'm totally in love with the basket weave mosaic tiles in the shower, and the brushed nickel faucet + hand sprayer with an early 20th century sensibility on the free standing tub.


I found the best way to learn space planning and furniture placement is through working with floor plans.  Thanks to Renovation Style, we also have the before and after plans! Now this is an important reference we all should keep.

7 comments:

  1. She is an artist! What a great table, super find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's amazing. Love her style. Thanks for sharing these Tim!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mary: oh I love sarah's design and style! And yes I am excited about the table but it does need a bit of TLC.

    @Amy: you are very welcome! I had fun summarizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this SR feature? Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Tim. Everything Sarah Richardson does is perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen a leg like the one above on page 71 (inset). How interesting! The bedroom is so handsome too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is my favorite designer. I can't get enough of her shows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article - I came across it while sitting here wondering what to do with my pie-shaped kitchen.

    ReplyDelete