Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sample Sale: Robert Allen

I woke up bright and early (6:30am to be exact) last Saturday to hit the St. Lawrence Farmer's Market hunting for my favourite Spring Flower: Peony.  This beautiful and fragrance flower comes in a variety of pinks and whites.  Although white peony has always been my favourite, this Spring I'm digging coral pink!


Thanks to the tip from Meredith at Meredith Heron Design, I also headed over to the fabric sample sale at the Robert Allen showroom at 9am sharp!  

Here is my confession to you.  I did debate over whether I should go to the sample sale for a few legitimate reasons: (1) I really don't need more fabrics sitting around, (2) with the road closures on the past weekend, how would I get from Waterfront to past Bloor Street? and (3) with fabrics regularly ranging from $80 and up, how low could the price really go?  

Well, thanks for a morning reminder from Meredith @meredithheron stating "the samples are priced from $5 to $20 a piece/yard", I just couldn't resist the temptation and as the Ikea ads says "Start The Car"!!

I was greeted by this fun, hand-written sign and these door crashers!!  Very tempted by the orange/white upholstery fabric ... but I just finished sourcing for an orange/ turquoise media room, I had to stop myself and listen to my inner voice.


Fantastic upholstery (reversible) fabrics with navy blue embroidered floral on white.  I've never met a herringbone I'm not in love with and this one was no exception.


100% Silk and silk/cotton blended drapery panels from $10 to $20 per panel.


This pink/green floral on heavy linen my friend was the biggest temptation of all during this visit.  It was colorful, playful, and full of charm.  You want to know the price? It was only $10 a yard and there were 19 yards!  This could be a perfect jumping off point for a dynamite room and you would have enough for a pair of drapes + a new dress to upcycle your favourite vintage chair!

After having an intense debate with my inner voice for a good 10 minutes and with no particular project in mind to jump start with this fabric, I decided to walk away.


So what did I score? See for yourself ...  all I could say is: it was totally worth the red-eye morning drive!


5 comments:

  1. You totally scored Tim! Love what you picked out, especially the one second from the top. It looks almost pencil drawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to meet you via Twitter! This is fantastic blog. We love Robert Allen design in all they do also! DecoratorsBest does sell Robert Allen at unbeatable prices, give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had planned to go to this but life got in the way; nice to see what I missed. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I can't wait to see what you do with the sketch one...and the paisley... and well, all of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will all see them one day when the right projects come along! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete