Sunday, June 26, 2011

Canadian Design Bloggers Meetup 2011

Have you heard of Canadian Design Bloggers Meetup?  It is a great blog that links all the talented Canadian design bloggers together, sharing thoughts on the latest design trends, and best of all, organizing great meetups to mingo!

I attended CDB Summer 2011 yesterday and I have to say: why didn't I find out about CDB earlier! The event was a great success and we all had a fantastic time at Brassaii.  CDB couldn't have picked a more perfect venue: it is classy, stylish, and I love the tomato red doors!


As the icing on the cake, Tommy Smythe (you all know I'm a super fan) was our special speaker, sharing great finds and hilarious stories of his trip to Sweden visiting the Ikea Museum.  (Can you spot Tommy in the picture on the left?)


I was stuck in traffic for the longest time (between accident on Lakeshore, Bollywood near the Royal York Hotel, and TTC screw-ups) and missed 1/2 of Tommy's funny stories, but I certainly enjoyed his take on Obelisks vs. ball-shaped objects.

I had so much fun chatting with Tommy afterward about fashion and decor.  I now have the exclusive story on Tommy's visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art for the Alexander McQueen Exhibit, the exciting insights on Season 2 of Sarah 101, and the secret of Tommy's perfect smile!


Sponsors (Ikea Canada, Delta Faucet, and CIL Paints) and friends (Canadian House & Home, Style at Home, Crate & Barrel, Rowenta, and Kravet Canada) of the CDB 2011 had generously provided many fantastic prizes and yours truly had won a one-year online subscription of Canadian House & Home!!


I forgot to give my camera for one of the ladies but Thanks to our official photographer Leah, here we are, collecting our prizes from Vitania & Daniella!


It was also great that I'd finally met some of these talented ladies!  I have been visiting their blogs, loving their projects, and their creative plans for the Bloggers Give Back project at the George Herman House!



Ok I love you all, but I was so going to rob Amy for her $1,000 shopping spree at Ikea and the elegant Delta bathroom faucet Lindsay won!

There were only so many prizes for the lucky draws but everyone was a winner, as CDB also got each of us a goodie bag to take home with.  I love the combination of silvery grey and red on the packaging... and if you look closely, that was also the color combo of my outfit for the night!


Goodies inside include the June and July issue of House & Home, and the August issue of Style at Home!  Big shout out to Style at Home as my paper version is currently being held hostage due to the postal strike.   Ikea also gave us this space-age inspired Jansjo work lamp.


One big bonus of being the only guy in the group (other than our fab speaker Tommy) is that it took no time to find my name tag and look at all these cards I got from the ladies!!


A big big big thank you to the Canadian Design Bloggers Meetup for organizing this wonderful event and our incredible sponsors and friends who'd made this event possible for all of us!

Now have I got something for you.  I already have my copies of the House & Home and so I decided to pass them on to one lucky reader!  The August issue will be out any minute now, meaning the June and July issues will disappear from the newsstands very soon!  Here is the scoop: all you need to do is drop me a comment and you are in for a chance to win them!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Tim,

    I missed the last few issues so I would love these!

    you.r.it@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the photos are fabulous and awesome. I loved the spirit. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim

    As I was reading your post, I was just thinking to myself that since you already have your subscription, wouldn't it be great if you give the extra copies away. I hope I win :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to win. Thanks tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. All looks fabulous. Hope I would also have been a part of the party. Any ways I am immensely pleasured to visit this post. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Saudi for the kind words! Next time you will have to join us!

    Now here is the winner for the magazines giveaway! Chris did the draw and the lucky winner is: Debbie!

    Please visit my website (click on my picture above) and send me your contact info!

    Thanks everyone for your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up.

    ReplyDelete