Sunday, April 17, 2011

West Elm: Summer Edition

It maybe miserable outside today (yeah wet snow and strong wind in mid April) but gorgeous Summer has already arrived at West Elm!  The trend for Summer decor is all things relaxed, casual, comfy, with an organic and rustic sensitivity, and my personal favourite, nautical is going strong!  No matter which style you desire, West Elm is determined to have something for you.

Trend 1: Casual Comfort

I love the white cotton slipcover on this sectional, which is paired perfectly with this fantastic veneer woven pendant for only $149!


Want a whimsy twist in decor? How about these fun white porcelain owls and vases with white canvas?


Trend 2: Organic and Rustic Apparel

From the comfy yet functional Essex sofa and ottoman to the Woven Seagrass pendants, West Elm has a large selection of cottage inspired furniture, lighting, and accessory for those of you who love everything rustic.


I particularly like the leafy and paisley-inspired fabrics on the upholstered pieces:  the soft white invites you to feel right at home while the warm grey helps hide the dirts.

Trend 3: Nautical at Sea

I love the blue and white combination: it's always fresh, crisp, and never go out of style.  I dressed my balcony in blue and white last Summer and now they are sitting in my bedroom!  Here in West Elm, the nautical scheme is sitting perfectly in the living room with the oh-so-comfortable and versatile Tillary Sofa.

You all know I love pillows and I tend to design my own.  So when I walked into the store and saw this wall of beautifully designed pillows, I knew I was in Heaven!  I totally loved the Whales pillow and the Zebra Fish pillow by Lourdes Sanchez.  They are 100% silk, screen printed by hand, machine washable, and they are only $34!!  Forget about making them!

Of course with Summer just around the corner (at least I hope), it is also the perfect time to hunt for stylish and practical outdoor furniture.  I am a big fan of light colored wood (white washed or drift wood), so the Dexter Outdoor Dining Collection is totally at the top of my "want" list.  Just look at the Dexter Chair: honest design and construction, allowing the material itself to take centre stage and be appreciated.      


West Elm also has a great selection of outdoor pillows that are stain, fade (by sun), and water resistant.  I'm particularly drawn to the Falling Dot pillow in tomato orange:


And of course outdoor dining wouldn't be completed with some pretty plates.  Plastic plates had had a bad rep in the 90s.  However, they were totally been revamped and made a huge come back.  Don't believe me, check out these gorgeous options:


The best about plastic plates is that they are almost indestructible, very affordable, and these ones at West Elm totally don't look like plastic plates!  You won't even be able to tell until you picked them up.  Here is yet an attractive vignette and the handsome Rajasthan Stripe Printed rug maybe coming home with me for my balcony:


You will also need some handsome pieces for drinks and I love the recycled glass drink dispenser and this stackable set with an industrial edge:


If you're looking for a deal, West Elm is also having a 20% sale on all dinnerware, glassware, placemats + napkins.


Here are some of my favourite dinnerware and glassware:




Here are my picks for napkins:



These napkins are very affordable at $3 a piece!!  And thanks to Sarah and Tommy, we've also learned that these napkins can also be turned into attractive pillow cases!

To wrap up my trip to West Elm this weekend, I also checked out their bedding for possible candidates to complete the bedroom makeover.  


The Blocked Tulip duvet cover is probably too busy with our wallpaper choice but I heart its energy, not to mention the fun factor.  For a more calming and elegant teenage room, the Organic Blocked Paisley may well be the right order.  

No comments:

Post a Comment