Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Appreciation Moment: Natalie Hodgins

I came across a MLS posting last fall featuring a house with eye catchy decor in Riverdale. As I looked closely to the pictures of the house, I noticed the dining room chairs and side chair + pillow in the bedroom looked remarkably similar to SR's signiture line. Yes, I'm crazy I know... but I'm a SR die-hard fan, so I should know about these little details. My curiousity led me to actually read the "text" on the posting (normally I only looked at the pictures when I "house brouse"), it was listed as "designed by a star from HGTV".

Luckily I was in town that weekend and I even got Chris to come check out the open-house with me... now THAT doesn't happen everyday! It was a busy open house. Many people in and out, admiring the furniture, the tasteful coral wallpaper in the front hall, the grey floral wallpaper in the dining room, the newly renovated main floor powder room, and the small but totally living large kitchen.. .just to name a few. Sorry for being part of the traffic jams and with the sole intention to check out what a designer home would look like.. well and more importantly, who is this "star from HGTV"? I found my answer in the powder room where pictures of Natalie and her family were displayed!

I've always liked Natalie and thought her rooms were mostly modern, clean-line, and light/airy. So it was surprising but also refreshing to see the varieties of colors in her own home. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me that day (trying not to look like a "tourist") ... but I found these pages from the Style at Home magazine a few months later.
  


I loved that coral wall in the living room, the varieties of fabrics, the details on the drapes, and the grey/cream graphic print on the armchair!  I loved that fabric when I saw it at InVu last year..what a great upholster fabric.


A contrast between the traditional patterns on the rug, the modern interpretation of a candle chandelier, the tone on tone shimmery wallpaper, and more importantly, how it contrasts in colors and patterns with the living room!


A well-chosen color combo of shades of coral/pink and pale green.  The room looked great in person and was calm and serene.  The only drawback of this room was its size and the limited build-in storage. But hey, welcome to downtown living in Toronto.




Love the grey and white color combination and the use of marble on the backsplash, CaesarStone counter top, and the heated floor.  Particularly love the peninsula... the picture actually doesn't do its justice here.  Glad I saw it in person.  This kitchen is actually quite small but with smart layout and design, it has everything you need in a well functional kitchen without feeling "cramped".  A major space expanding trick here is that this kitchen is next to the deck and once the contemporary glass door is opened, you have literally expanded your kitchen/eating/entertaining area right into the backyard!

Great pop of orange as accent and love the pendants over the island.   What amazes me the most is that this really is an Ikea kitchen!  I've watched all episodes of SR's shows and have learned that Ikea can look hi-end when "modified" appropriately.  I could tell that the fabric for the roman blind, the clock, and the bar chairs were from Ikea when while I toured the kitchen.  But nothing had prepared me to the shocks and disbelieves when I read the source guide.  Everything is Ikea! 

This also taught me that even though I'm capable of decorating spaces, but when it comes to designing the layout of a well function kitchen in a tiny space, the prof is the way to go! 
Here is a shot of the powder room on the main floor.  Too bad they didn't show the floor tiles.  It was the same pattern Sarah used as backsplash in her cottage's kitchen. 


I love how cozy and almost glamourous this powder room felt.  As most people would go light in a small space in hope to visually expand the space, this dark but well appointed bathroom didn't feel small at all when I was in there with 2 other strangers.   Great job Natalie!

This house also featured two kid rooms and a great family room at the attic with walkout to yet another deck.  Perfect for sun bathing in the summer.

Here you have it .. yet another great project executed by one of Sarah's finest designers!

1 comment: